Powered By Blogger

Obsessed! Hair Setting Tools

Pardon my recent bout of laziness...I'm off for Martin Luther King Day and I've been in the house resting, still have some residue left from the flu and my throat's been a tad tickle-ish and sore.

If you're in the loop as it pertains to the natural hair movement that's spread like wildfire in the last few years, you know that natural haired gals test out many products. It's just something ya gotta do when you're looking to figure out what works on your curly head of hair. I tried a decent number products in the first few years but settled on a few staples.  Gals who like to try out products sometimes become obsessed with trying out products and become known simply as "product junkies".  I'm not one of them. It seems my weakness has been hair setting. I'm very much interested in trying out pretty much every roller or hair setting device out there..but I won't be because I'm taking a break..but we can still go over the various ways of getting different looks with different rollers and setting tools, can't we? Thank you for indulging with me!




I've tried Curlformers but I don't enjoy sleeping in them so I don't think I'll be using them regularly.The curls actually fall out pretty quickly (so don't brush your hair like I did in my tutorial!) plus the stick broke and I haven't gotten a new one. Maybe I can just fix it.  Either way, they're much more of a hassle and that trumps everything else.




I've tried satin covered foam rollers and they do work well but I have to use more of them so my hair actually dries all the way..I've taken some down and noticed damp hair so more is more..less isn't best!




I've tried out flexi rods, by far my favorite to use because they deliver great results. Plus my hair is shiney and bouncy with minimal effort. If I put too many in my head (10-15) they're not fun to sleep in but it's manageable. Normally I use 10-15 the first night and can use less the next night because my hair's been elongated a bit by them. For me, these are probably the best rollers ever!





I've tried out magnetic rollers and while the result is okay, it's often a hit or miss with these things. I think it has to do with mastering the technique needed to put them in. They take too long to put in too, I always have to re-roll and re-pin.


I'd like to try out wave clamps to see what 20s style finger wave looking styles I can come up with. I'm not sure if I'll get the look I want though, I haven't seen them used on curly hair, only straight hair.




I also would like to try water wave combs. Again, not sure how I'd perfect the use of them, but I'd give them a go to see what I could come up with. Check out this patent for them. Neat, right?



Rag rollers are on my list too..someday..It'll take me a while I'm sure before I try all these rollers out. These are modern ones, you can make your own with strips of fabric though. I may opt for that since it's a much less expensive method.





Annnnnnnnd Ryler Stylers, yep, I kinda wanna try these out too. Curly B, a fellow natural, was inspired by the retro styles and did a great tutorial using them. Check it out!


So there you have it, rollers and the such that you can use for waves and curls. Twisting can work too but it depends on what look you want to get. Merry hair rolling!

~The Retro Natural

3 comments:

Shhh said...

I love satin rollers on dry stretched hair. They are great for that. This post reminds me I need to buy some more of those.

Happy New Year!

The Retro Natural said...

@ Shannon, Ahhh, I'm gonna give that a go, I normally use them on wet hair but drying takes a while. Thanks for the tip!

Shhh said...

No problem. I have a lot of hair so drying with those is pretty much impossible. :)